Elderly and Care Services
The Family Practice was amongst the first practices in the UK to set up a patients’ association 30 years ago.
The association continues to organise three very useful practice services:
- The Volunteer Driver Scheme - this scheme helps people who have difficulty accessing public transport, it exists solely on the back of goodwill and donations.
- The Monday Lunch Club - mainly targeted at the isolated elderly, the Monday Lunch club enables patients to meet and socialise with each other over soup and sandwiches. Transport is provided. Please contact the Practice Manager for further details or to contribute to this service.
- RSVP – Retired and Senior Volunteer Programme is a volunteering programme that specialises in engaging volunteers aged 50+ to become active in their community. Volunteers can offer companionship to the lonely and isolated patients at our surgery. They can offer company, run small errands and engage the patient in suitable activity’s in the local neighbourhood.
In addition to the District Nurses, the community nursing team includes a Community Matron and a Community Nurse for Older People (CNOP), helping older people achieve as full a life as possible in their preferred surroundings.
Bristol Care Direct
Care Direct is part of Bristol City Council and is the main way to contact adult care (social services).
When you contact them, one of their advisors will ask you about your situation. They can:
- give you information and advice
- tell you about other organisations that will be able to help you
- tell you about information on this website.
If you need more support
They'll carry out an assessment over the phone. They will then either:
- set up support over the phone.
- refer you to our reablement service (they provide short-term support in your own home to help you be more independant)
- arrange for someone to visit to carry out a more detailed needs assessment.
A link to their website can be found here or you can phone 0117 922 2700.
A carer is someone who, without payment, provides help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help. This could be due to age, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.
As a carer you are entitled to an assessment of needs from Social Services, and you may be eligible for different forms of help.
Carers Direct provides comprehensive advice for carers on support, benefits and rights.
Bristol Care & Repair - established in 1986, Bristol Care & Repair is a charitable organisation providing services for older and disabled people throughout Bristol.
Bristol and Avon Chinese Women's Group 9351462
Bristol Young Carers Project 9392562
Bristol Care Direct ( Tel: 0117 922 2700)
Carers Count (Helen Mathias) 0781 2676335/9652200
Council Benefits Council Benefits 9037100
Council Tax rebates (Dementia) 9250981
North Bristol Advice Centre 9515751
The Princess Royal Trust Carers Centre (Fishponds) 9392562
Welfare Rights (University settlement) 9829399
Dementia and Dementia Support
Caring for someone with dementia can be challenging. The Bristol Dementia Wellbeing Service provides support worker who offer information and practical guidance to help people understand dementia, cope with day-to-day challenges and prepare for the future. They offer support face to face, over the phone or in writing.
They can be contacted on:
0117 961 0693 (Office opening times: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.)
More information about this service is available at:
Additional information about living with dementia can be found here:
Support for carers of people with dementia can be found here:
INDEX - Self-Help-Centre
- Asthma Action Plan
- Choose Well
- Elderly and Care Services
- getUbetter Recovery App
- Handi App
- NHS Symptom Checker (A - Z)
- Live Well
- Pharmacy First
- Self Care
- Winter Health
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.