In order to continue delivering a high quality service for our patients we have been looking at how we can make the best use of the time and skills of our well established clinical team. We have considered many examples of innovative working that have been implemented in other surgeries across the Bristol area and have found that Active Signposting can make a big improvement to both the patient experience and GP Practice sustainability.
Active Signposting is designed to connect patients more directly with the most appropriate source of help or advice; this may include services in the community as well as within the Practice.
Reception staff will ask some simple questions to enable them to direct you to the most appropriate professional or service in our area. Receptionists do not make clinical decisions but when a patient presents with symptoms that could be dealt with by a pharmacist, optician or a social prescribing service they will confidently offer these alternatives.
In order to successfully implement this new initiative before booking an appointment our reception team will:
· Complete a short template, taking some simple details about your request and record any information we have given to you.
· Look to see who saw you last (if it is an ongoing problem) so that we can try to maintain continuity with the clinician who knows your problem best.
· Offer suggestions as to your options regarding your specific request.
· Make an appointment with a practice clinician if appropriate.
· Look to see what else may be outstanding that we might be able to help with during your call. Eg if you are coming to see a GP can we also arrange to do your diabetic check or a blood test during the same visit.
All of the reception team here at The Family Practice are undergoing training in order to go live with Active Signposting from 19th July 2019. Our GPs have been instrumental in supporting and advising our reception team on how they should work and our practice managers are here to help you with any questions you may have, or if you would like to feed back any comments or suggestions regarding our new ways of working.
Also see our website for more detailed information and advice on when you need to book to see a GP and for a list of the many things we can manage for you without the need to see a GP.
Published: Jul 31, 2019