Concerns over the AZ Covid Vaccine
- We are aware that some countries have temporarily suspended use of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine.
- The AstraZeneca vaccine has been rigorously tested by the UK medicines regulator (the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency, MHRA), the European Medicines Agency and the World Health Organisation for safety and efficacy.
- The UK has administered 11 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine and there has been no demonstrable difference in the number of blood clots since the vaccine was introduced.
- The benefits of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine outweigh any risks and people should still go and get their COVID-19 vaccine when asked to do so.
- All vaccines that are available have been approved because they pass the MHRA’s tests on safety and efficacy, so people should be assured that whatever vaccine they are given will be highly effective and protect them from coronavirus.
- Due to the nature of vaccine supply combined with the evidence that all the available vaccines are safe and effective, it is not possible for individuals to choose which vaccine brand they receive.
- This information is available on the Healthier Together vaccination page aimed at patients, along with lots of other responses to common FAQs: https://bnssghealthiertogether.org.uk/covid-19-mass-vaccination/.
Published: Mar 19, 2021